This chutney complimented the Dahl last week in a sweet and saucy kind of way. Again, like many of the details of a good meal, you think that this is one of those things that you buy from the shop to save time. But let me tell you, you can’t buy this kind of flavour or the satisfaction in creating it when you nip down to Sainsbury’s and grab it off of a shelf.
- 1 Kilo of Tomato’s (About 9 large ones), quatered and skinned
- 2 big cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 large green chilli’s, de-seeded
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 large man thumb of ginger, finely chopped
- 4 large punches of sugar
- 1 mugfull of Malt vinegar
- Cummin Seeds, good pinch of
Firstly we need to get the skin off of the tomato’s, and then slice them into quarters. Now, boil up the vinegar with the sugar until the the sugar has dissolved, chuck in the rest of the ingrediants and reduce until the mixture starts to thicken. (Notice my expert chef term there, “reduce”, which essentially means ummm, errr, make smaller, which I suppose in this case means get rid of some of the moisture).