First up this year we have a surprise. Anyone who’s been perusing this blog over the last few months will realise that most of us at the MCC are pure novices in the art of cooking, which is why the “steak and Kidney Pie” is special. It’s the first recipe where we the disciples have taken the recipe into our own hands and discovered the correct “moves”.
I decided that all I wanted was a pie. Me and Gee had a game pie from a farmers market and frankly it was rank, but we both couldn’t help but fantasize over pies. So the mission the next day was to research steak and kidney pies on this interweb thingy. I found hundreds of recipes, read about thirty and realised that there were a few quantities and ingredients that are pretty consistent and a few extras here and there that seem worthy of additional investigation.
So I ended up with the following ingredients.
- 1.5 lbs of Beef cut into large cubes
- 1/2 lb of kidney, cleaned, cut into small chunks, with all tubing cut out
- 20-30 Button mushrooms cut in half
- Puff Pastry, you could make your own, but the packet stuff is pretty good
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, sliced
- Worcester sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Punch of flour
- Couple of knobs of butter
- Beef stock, I bought mine from Sainsbury’s
- 1 egg
Doesn’t look enough once you write it down… 🙂